Study and Work in Canada

International students have a lot of opportunities to earn money for their tuition and living expenses. So, they can both: study and work in Canada. With the help of the possibility for foreign students to work on part-time jobs, they may gain the work experience. Also, there are many options to work after graduation and even to apply for permanent residency. Besides, their spouses can also work there. Of course, for study and work in Canada, there must be observed some requirements.

Let’s consider the following cases:

Work on campus.

While the study, the foreign student can work on campus without a work permit, if he or she:

  • is registered as a full-time student at some college, university or SEGEP;
  • is registered as a full-time student at a private post-secondary institution, which fits the same norms as at a public educational institution(with government grants no less than 50 % of its financing);
  • is registered as a full-time student at a private institution in Canada, which is authorized by provincial statute to grant degrees;
  • has got a valid study permit.

Work off-campus.

An international student is able to work off-campus with a work permit during the time of studying, if he or she:

  • is registered as a full-time student at a participating publicity funded post- secondary institution or in an approved program at an eligible privately financed institution;
  • has got a valid work permit;
  • is working up to 20 hours/week during sessions and full time during scheduled holidays.

By the way, the student of the designated learning institution in Canada, where a mandatory work placement or internship is obligatory, must apply for the co-op work permit, except of study permit.

After graduation the student can work in Canada according to the post-graduation work permit (PGWPP) and gain the Canadian work experience, which will be very useful for his further applying for permanent residency in Canada. It’s important to know, that PGWPP allows working in Canada no more than 3 years and no less than 9 months. Generally, the length of the work under PGWPP depends on the length of the learning program of the student. It means, for example, that the program of 10 months allows staying and working in Canada after completing the program maximum 10 months.

So, study and work in Canada are real! Contact us for further proceedings in this question.